CSG-graded Mickey Mantle Card Shines in Hake's Auction
Posted on 6/9/2021
Two vintage baseball rarities graded by Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG™) realized the highest prices of the cards presented in a recent Hake’s Auctions sale. Sports Online Auction # 5 sale wrapped up on May 27, 2021.
Top CSG-graded cards in the sale
Mickey Mantle Bowman rookie card
A rare 1952 Bowman #101 Mickey Mantle graded CSG 4 (lot 313) realized an impressive $3,245. This card features an illustrated picture of the legendary player on the front, with his statistics and a brief career history on the back.
Mickey Mantle had an illustrious career with the New York Yankees from 1951 to 1968, with a batting average of .298. He had 536 homeruns total and is the only player in history to hit 150 homers from each side of the plate. Mantle was a 16-time All-Star who helped lead the Yankees to seven World Series victories. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974.
Alejandro Oms cigarette card
Several Cuban baseball cards that were issued nearly a century ago were also offered in the sale. They included a 1926-27 Aguilitas #778 Alejandro Oms graded CSG 1 and pedigreed to the Richard Merkin Collection that realized $1,557. Small cards like this one were collected with the purchase of cigarettes or candy.
Alejandro Oms played in the Negro Leagues and the Latin American Leagues, including with the Cuban Stars (East). In the Cuban league, he played winter ball and won the MVP award in the 1928-29 season. With a batting average of .345, Oms was elected to the Cuban Baseball Hall of Fame in 1944.
Other CSG-certified highlights in the sale included:
- a 2017 Donruss Optic #177 Patrick Mahomes II Rated Rookie graded CSG 9.5 (lot 81) that realized $1,057
- a 1980-81 Topps Bird 34 / Erving SL 174 / Johnson 139 graded CSG 5 (lot 119) that realized $1,008
- a 1961-62 Fleer #62 Bill Russell In Action graded CSG 4.5 (lot 114) that realized $922
- a 2017 Panini Contenders Rookie Ticket RPS #311 Christian McCaffrey Cracked Ice graded CSG 9 with a 10 Autograph grade (lot 88) that realized $922
- a 1967 Topps #581 Bill Denehy / Tom Seaver Mets Rookies graded CSG 4.5 (lot 320) that realized $877
- a 1981 Topps #216 Joe Montana graded CSG 9 (lot 61) that realized $811
- a 2003-04 Upper Deck Black Diamond #184 LeBron James graded CSG 9 (lot 153) that realized $811
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free CSG eNewsletter today!